[XML-SIG] Preparing for PyXML 0.6.5

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:42:05 -0700

> Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:
> =

> > I think it makes sense to make 0.7 the first release with 4XPath and =
4XSLT =

> > built in.  Then we can burn it in through an 0.7.x cycle and go 1.0 w=
hen we're =

> > happy with things?
> =

>   =

>   BTW, do you plan to merge 4Suite and PyXML?

No.  But I don't think it's a good idea to do so anyway.

For one thing, not all of 4Suite is relevant to PyXML.  For instance, 4OD=
S =

probably wouldn't fit.

But also, I think it has worked quite well for the technology to be incub=
ated =

in 4Suite, and the parts that are of broadest use for Python XML users to=
 =

migrate to PyXML.  I see 4Suite as a sort of PyXML++ for those who want t=
he =

kittin' kaboodle of XML tools.

>   It seems that a growing number
>   of 4Suite components are integrated into PyXML ...

Yes, but in some cases there is more to it than simple migration.  For =

instance, we'll be moving 4XPath and 4XSLT to PyXML, but we'll be develop=
ing =

from scratch a new XSLT implementation that will live in 4Suite 1.1 and h=
igher =

as an alternative to 4XSLT.  That way Python will have a mature =

implementation, and an improved, but experimental implementation.

>   What is the future of 4Suite?

1.0 probably in late April, which will be mostly what's in CVS now with =

bug-fixes.  Then 4Suite 1.0.x is maintained as a bug-fix branch while 4XP=
ath =

and 4XSLT are removed from a 1.1 development branch and the new XSLT proc=
essor =

introduced.

So 4Suite will keep on, although we will move over to PyXML whatever make=
s =

sense and has consensus (there was much discussion about moving 4XPath an=
d =

4XSLT in almost a year ago, but the timing makes more sense now).

One note is that since 4XSLT includes PyXML, all this migration should be=
 =

relatively transparent to the end user (although it can make for some ext=
ra =

work for distributors).

-- =

Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com =