[XML-SIG] News on Sourceforge

Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:57:41 +0100

> More importantly, it would be nice for whoever is releasing a PyXML
> package to update SF at the same time.  Of course it's hard to
> remember such things, so perhaps we need to make up a release
> check-list.

I'm actually following a checklist; the one at the top of the ANNOUNCE
file. So far, non of the 0.6.x releases did *all* of the release
procedure steps; that was intentional on my part as I otherwise would
have released nothing (release early, release often).

E.g. in 0.6.4, for the first time, I put a notice on freshmeat. That
took quite some time in itself, as I had to get a freshmeat account,
find the name that freshmeat uses for the package, and update all the
outdated information (the last freshmeat announcement was in the 0.5.x
series, by amk).

As for SF announcements, after posting the 0.6.1 one, I found that it
might be pointless - only people looking at the project page will see
it, and they see what the recent release is by looking just above that
field. It might be useful to post other announcements there, e.g. when
important check-ins occur, or related software is released :-)

> *  Ask all developers to check in (say 72 hours before planned release)
>
>   - Note: I actually had some fixes in my local repo that would have
> been nice to get into 0.6.4 (they're in now).  I guess I should just
> check in more often.

For 0.6.4, I sent a message on Feb 20 that I would be releasing it a
few days later. I got some useful feedback in response to that
message; the release was on Feb 25.

> * Check all test suites (all are in the test directory, except for
> PyXML/xml/dom/ext/reader/test_suite/Benchmark.py, which looks as if
> it should just be nuked)

I normally run all of the test directory on Linux and Solaris; this
time, I also ran in on WinNT (and noticed that the packaging would
forget the output/test_ files due to a bug in distutils).

> *  Update any docs

I normally do that before running the test suite.

> *  Draft announcement

At least for 0.6.4, that happened quite some time before that:
revisions 1.10-1.12 all deal with 0.6.4.

> *  Update SF page

So far, this is uploading only. If people feel that I should post a
news item also, I can add this to my list.

> Anything else?

* Place CVS tag on all files
* Post announcements (the one to xml-dev always returns since only
  subscribers can post, and since I was not subscribed and always forgot
  that restriction)

Regards,
Martin