[XML-SIG] Re: Version number question on PyXML 0.6.4

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 00:44:05 -0500

On Thursday 01 March 2001 09:31, Marsiske Stefan - 3244 wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:22:34PM +0100, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> > > I'm begining to think someone from the Enlightenment window manager
> > > project has been given control of the version numbering for PyXML.
> >
> > I don't know much about Enlightenment, so I can't tell whether this is
> > applause or criticism - I assume it's the latter...
>
> i feel offended here, since i'm involved a with E. and i agree totally with
> the versioning.  since atm we're at our 4 rewrite of the whole app. so the
> low version numbering is ok. though maybe for each rewrite we could also
> choose a new name, and start over from 0.1. e-0.16.5 could be considered a
> major release. but we scrapped that, and started over. once again. always
> improving. :)

No offense was intended.  I used E as an example of a project that has been
very conservative with version numbering increments.  Python has been
conservative as well.  They finally bumped Python up to 2.0 for marketing
purposes.  If anything it should be taken as a complement.  There is nothing
wrong with being conservative about moving to a 1.0 release.  I was just
looking for some indication of when 1.0 might happen.

The low version number does have a down side.  Many people won't touch code
below a 1.0 or 1.2 release.  This may be dumb logic on their part, but it is
reality.