[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] ANN: 4Suite and 4SuiteServer 0.11.1 beta 2

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:01:00 -0600

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>  >
>  > $ 4xslt book.xml db/html/docbook.xsl
>  > entityRef ca /usr/local/lib/xslt/db/common/l10n.xml ca.xml None
>  > ...
>  > entityRef zh_tw /usr/local/lib/xslt/db/common/l10n.xml zh_tw.xml None
> Hm, you notice that the reference to "chap3" is not reported?
>
> But, I get similar results when "chap3.xml" is an empty file.
> For me, the "chap3" reference is listed.

Actually, it's listed for me as well.  I had other print statements in
there and tried to be clever cuttin ghtme out, and I also cut out the
"chap3.xml" listing.

So it looks like we're seeing the same thing.

> Apparently, the problem has to do with the content of "chap3.xml".
> I validated its content with "nsgmls", thus it is not the structure.
>
> I have had similar problems with 4suite 0.9. Then, I tracked
> the problem down to a weird (and very difficult to reproduce)
> bug in "xmlparse.c" in connection with CDATA sections.
> I have submitted the bug and patch to xml-sig a long time
> ago, but never heard anything about it.
> Maybe, the bug was not fixed.
>

> And indeed! I applied my patch to "xmlparse" and the problem
> went away. I attach the patch.

Hmm.  This looks like a bug in expat itself, which may be why it was not
  picked up by the local SIGgers.  For instance, this same bug would
need to be fixed in Python's expat extension, and Perl's XML::Parse, etc.

However, I think Fred Drake is a core expat developer.  What do you
think, Fred?

I can apply this patch and check it into PyXML, but I don't know enough
about expat's test suite (if any) to be able to make sure it doesn't
break anything else (thought from my reading, I can't see that it would
break anything else).

> Sorry for my impatience!

Not at all.  As usual, your bug reports are of huge value.  Keep on
writing those king-sized books!  ;-)

XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management