[XML-SIG] Installing to split prefix/exec-prefix

Luis P Caamano lcaamano@mindspring.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:20:03 -0400

Not PyXML specifically.  What made think that was this quote from
the Python distribution README file:

***
This will install all platform-independent files in subdirectories of
the directory given with the --prefix option to configure or to the
`prefix' Make variable (default /usr/local).  All binary and other
platform-specific files will be installed in subdirectories if the
directory given by --exec-prefix or the `exec_prefix' Make variable
(defaults to the --prefix directory) is given.
***

So, that works great with Python, but then when you install other
extensions/packages, things are not so neat ... for example ...
PyXML.  I've learned now that this is not a PyXML specific issue,
but regardless, "things don't work for everything as the quote
above led me to believe."  Granted, it doesn't say anything about
PyXML or any other extension/package but still, I just thought
that exec_prefix was for "binaries and platform specific files."

Regards,
Luis

Luis P. Caamano
lcaamano@mindspring.com