[XML-SIG] Installing to split prefix/exec-prefix

Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:45:28 +0200

> Pardon my ignorance, but, would it be true to say that
> .py[co], files should NEVER exist in exec_prefix?

I can't see why they should not exist in exec_prefix. It is true to
say that they never need to exist there.

> If so, then __init__.py would always be in prefix.  Also, 'unpure'
> packages would always be split between prefix and exec_prefix, and
> thus, should be tested that way.
>
> python bug?

No, it is documented behaviour. You can add additional directories to
a package by setting some package attribute (__path__?), but by
default, a package only lives in a single directory.

> After playing with split prefix/exec_prefix I've found that it
> has not been tested much outside of python itself, which works
> fine with split dirs.  My opinion is that split dirs just
> doesn't work as advertised in practice.

Where did you see any advertisement for exec_prefix that made you
think PyXML should not install into it? Exact quote please, if
possible.

Regards,
Martin