[XML-SIG] XML DTD for RPM spec and PO files

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:46:13 +0200

> Actually I'm coordinating the french translation of the LDP and I'm
> looking for existing XML DTDs that would map the structure of .po and
> .spec files in order to generalize XML as an exchange, archive and
> manipulation format for translations.

What do you gain by doing that? For the existing formats, all kinds of
tools exist. For the XML equivalents, nothing exists.

> Then I can store all these files and there translation and use the same
> tools (xmldiff and XSL transforms) to deal with new versions, detect parts
> that changed, produce reports and even generate the original format (XML
> -> po or XML -> spec).

Why do you want to use, say, XSL, on a po file? The typical output
processing of such file is into a binary .mo file, which is structured
for efficient access at run time. I very much doubt you can do msgfmt
in XSLT.  Likewise, to combine revisions of catalogs, I doubt any tool
would be as good as msgmerge, with support for fuzzy messages and all
that.

Regards,
Martin