[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] xml.dom.ext.reader.HtmlLib

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:32:20 -0600

> On 17 Jul 2001, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> > | As a side note, Sgmlop.HtmlParser uses non NS methods to build it's
> > | DOM. Is this what is intended ?
> >
> > Should be, shouldn't it? HTML doesn't have namespaces, only XHTML does.
>
> Well... yes, and no. This is the old setAttributeNS(EMPTY_NS, name,value)
> vs setAttribute(name,value) question. The problem happens when you try to
> get the value back and you don't know what API was used to set
> it. However, using a Sax driver for this parser should help, since then
> the DOM builder would be able to call whatever method is deemed necessary.

Sigh.  I've resisted doing this (the DOM spec itself gives us excuse not to
bothr), but perhaps it's time to bite the performance bullet and make the NS
and non-NS APIs smarter about each other.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management