[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] 4Suite 0.11.1 and PyXML 0.6.5

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:36:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> > I've been quite busy these last weeks, and have not managed to follow the
> > various mailing lists as closely as I would have wanted. Is there a
> > release of PyXML 0.6.6 planned that would mainly feature the changes in
> > xml.dom.ext that make PyXML compatible with 4Suite-0.11.1's pDomlette ?
>
> The 0.6.6 branch is open for people to commit into it; I trust that
> anybody committing changes will follow a "bug fixes only" strategy
> there.

I missed this.  I'll be sure to sync all my changes from the tip to this
branch.  I would indeed like to see a PyXML 0.6.6 bug-fix release to go
with the 4Suite 0.11.1 release.

> Once there is actually stuff to release, I'd happily produce a release.
>
> > Yet another (dumb) question : is the new version of XPath (thread
> > and unicode friendly) part of 4Suite 0.11.1 or PyXML 0.7 ?
>
> The PyXPath in the current PyXML CVS is already thread any
> unicode-aware; it is not based on the recent "unicode friendly" code
> from 4Suite (which I understand uses UTF-8 strings).

I had been hoping Jeremy would open up a discussion about the differences
between your approach and the one he chose.

I think this is an important discussion to have, since you've both done
valuable work on the issue and people will be wanting to know what XPath
implementation to use, and why.

I confess that I don't really know the answers to this myself.

XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management