[XML-SIG] pyexpat.c does not compile with Python2.1a2

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:31:25 -0500

On Tuesday 06 February 2001 04:44, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> People building PyXML might not have noticed the problem, setup.py
> won't build pyexpat if it finds that the Python one is good enough.

When I ran make on 2.0a2 and then ran build the pyexpat module wasn't built.
I'm running Redhat linux:

    Linux  2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 20:53:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

I suspect it may have failed to build because I did not have expat installed.
There wasn't a warning to this effect and the instructions in the README file
did not say I need to have it installed. (The README file still talks about
editing the Module/Setup file so I think it is probably out of date.)

The 2.1a2 download page does nor reference source code for expat.  It was
included in the 2.0 download page, http://www.python.org/2.0/.  It was not
clear to me if the expat source code was included in the 2.1a2 source
distribution.

The 2.1 download page, http://www.python.org/2.1/, references the 2.1a1
release on SourceForge.  (The returned page highlights the older release
instead of the 2.1a2 release.)  The http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.1/
download location is also reference on the /2.1/ page.  None of the pages
reference expat source or mention the need to install expat.