[XML-SIG] RDF Parser -> PyXML

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:47:47 -0600

> * Uche Ogbuji
> |
> | Can you define "core XML"?
>
> Well, it would have to be things that
>
>  - use or support the XML data model (RDF fails here)
>  - are not XML applications themselves (whether RDF fails here can be argued)
>  - help you build XML applications and software

I'm unclear on "are not XML applications themselves"

I certainly think that RDF falls well into your third category.

I think that the result of this discussion between you and me will be "agree
to disagree", so I'd like to hear from others.

But let me touch on your other questions.

> What is, really, the connection between RDF and XML?  (I am asking for
> enlightenment here. :)

I think RDF is the most natural tool available for managing XML meta-data.
Indeed I don't often use XML without using RDF as well.  In this regard RDF is
as important to me as XSLT.

* Rather than process large XML documents, I tend to break things down to
small, cohesive mini-docs, and use RDF-encoded relationships to "glue" them
together.

* When managing large quantities of XML documents, even with varying
structure, I use RDF for indexing and aggregation.

* RDF itself is my most common XML vocabulary for documents that do a lot of
description, and represent object relationships.  See

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-rdf/index.html?dwzone=ws

For an example of this line of thought as I apply it to the normally XML-only
WSDL.

> | I also think that your stated standard would tend to exclude large
> | parts of the current contents of PyXML.
>
> Which ones?

Well, what I had in mind was formed without the benefit of your clarification
above.

I was thinking things like

unicode
xpath
xslt
marshal
iso8601

By your criteria above, most of these do indeed belong in the package, but so
then does RDF, IMO.