[XML-SIG] pyexpat v. xml.parsers.expat ?

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:46:44 +0200

>   At various points, Guido has commented on the strange name "pyexpat"
> -- he generally doesn't like names with a "py" stuck on the front
> simply because something is written in Python.

I hesitated to ask the same question for a couple of weeks now.

>   Does anyone have an objection to renaming pyexpat _expat, and
> using a Python wrapper called xml.parsers.expat?

Actually, why do we have to have a wrapper? Wouldn't do expat as a
module name just fine? There is plenty of builtin modules that don't
start with an underscore: array, binascii, bsddb, gc, to name a few.

>   I'd also like to understand why the error constants are in a
> sub-module, pyexpat.errors, instead of being in pyexpat itself.
> pyexpat.errors is a strange little module in that you can't import it
> until after you've done an "import pyexpat" -- it probably won't bite
> anyone, but this doesn't really follow the least-surprise principle.

Good question also. If the module is renamed, code needs to adopt,
anyway - so just move the exceptions a level up.

Regards,
Martin