Fw: [XML-SIG] consolidation?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:09:25 -0600

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Frank J.S. Chen wrote:
> =

> > The DOM implementation has the same problem:the method has its specia=
> > name.
> > As I write applications with it, I have to reference its code all the=
 time.
> =

> Which method ? I've been using 4DOM for several months now, using the A=
PI
> spec from the W3C as a documentation, and never encountered any method =
in
> the spec that was not defined in 4DOM. The only trick I found is that
> there is no DocumentTraversal class, because everything already is in
> Docuement. =

Ah, but note that DOML2 does not mandate a DocumentTraversal class but a =

DocumentTraversal _interface_.

We just happen to implement that interface on a class that also implement=
s the =

Document interface (and others).  This is perfectly legal DOM and quite c=
ommon =

OO practice.

I tend to think it makes life easier for implementing and usage.

> On the other hand, I've been mainly using DOM core and DOM traversal, s=
> maybe there are issues I have not been able to notice ?

We treat DOML2 incompatabilities as bugs.  There are a few minor compatab=
ility =

bugs here and there.  For instance we use Python's string which is not re=
ally =

conformant to the DOMString interface because it does not have clean unic=
ode =

manipulation.  This should hopefully be addressed when we mobe to Python =
2.

We're happy to know of any other bugs.

-- =

Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com =