[RIL] Re: [XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] ANN: 4Suite 0.9.1

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:54:47 -0600

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > Is it time to reopen this discussion?
>
> Certainly, yes.
>
> > The Python XML-SIG really "owns" the "xml" Python package namespace and
> > we don't intrude on it without its permission.  DOM moved there for
> > obvious reasons (it's now the official full DOM of the SIG).  Earlier
> > this year the decision was made to move xslt and xpath there as part of
> > initial moves towards incorporating them into the xml-sig package but I
> > think concerns over their cross-platform compatability are holding up
> > outright adoption.
>
> Could somebody please summarize what these concerns where? I
> understand to fully build 4XPath from source, you need BisonGen,
> bison, flex, SWIG, ... what else? This is indeed an impressive list of
> prerequisites, but I can't see anything inherently platform-dependent
> in it.

I think we have addressed most of these concerns in the latest releases
of 4Suite.  We now check in all of the generated files so all you need
is PyXML and a c compilier.

I think the only concern left is the not all of 4Suite should be
included into the "xml" pacakge.  4ODS for sure does not belong
there...The rest, RDF, XPointer, XLink, I think all fit.

Mike