[XML-SIG] Proposal: PEP-like Approach for pyXML

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:10:31 -0500 (EST)

Thomas B. Passin writes:
 > they say,  to RFCs.  I'd like to suggest that pyXML start
 > using some less formal version.  Perhaps XRFCs (XML RFC)?  I
 > Once an issue were closed out, that XRFC would be frozen,
 > just as RFCs are.  The PEP distinction of action vs
 > informational PEPs might work out very well.

  I think this is a good idea.  I'd propose that a separate "product"
(to use SourceForge terminology) be created parallel to the "xml"
directory in CVS.

 > We could try out the process by making the first XRFC cover
 > the topic of XRFC procedures.  Some issues are who keeps an
 > XRFC up-to-date, what should be included, and who votes on
 > them.

  Sounds good.

 > PEPs are supposed to be written in some kind of structured
 > text, which is programatically converted to HTML.  Should we
 > take this as a challenge to do the same in XML for XRFCs?

  These should definately be XML documents.  There's already a DTD for
IETF RFCs, and tools to perform the conversions to HTML and text;
perhaps we could use that DTD and XSLT to perform the conversions (the
existing tools are probably not in Python ;).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations