[XML-SIG] PyXML 0.6.2

Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:07:42 +0100

> Is it available form anywhere else? Sourceforge seems to be having
> problems...

Not that I know of. I hope Andrew (or somebody else with access to
python.org) can copy at least the source distribution to the SIG's ftp
area.

Anybody else is encouraged to mirror that stuff; I'll happily include
pointers to mirrors on the topic guide.

> > 	* Synchronize with standard library from Python 2.0
>
> But still compatible with Python 1.5.2?

Certainly, yes. Actually, I only verified it passes the testsuite. If
you find problems, please report them as bugs.

> There seem to be multiple files which are common for these two
> packages... any hope of a synchronization soon, so no file is part of
> both packages?

I don't know. Personally, I'd be happy to include more of 4Suite in
PyXML (and I think more of the XML-SIG readership agree), but that
isn't just my decision.

> Also, would the best way to deal with this now be to include the
> files from PyXML instead of 4Suite when both contain (possibly
> different versions of) it?

I'd think so. There is no formal guarantee that PyXML is up-to-date
with 4Suite all of the time, but I'm open to suggestions to provide
mechanism: e.g. identify more people that are willing to produce PyXML
releases, either 4Suite people, or from the potential redistributors
(hint hint).

As a packager, I'd remove 4DOM from 4Suite when packaging it, and made
PyXML a prerequisite. I can well understand the reasons why
Fourthought doesn't use that approach, but the same reasons may not be
true for others producing packages.

Regards,
Martin