[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0: Namespaces

17 May 2000 18:40:46 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

|   - The namespace name:
|
|   [...]
|
|     - Namespace processing is off and the parser is not providing
|       namespace names this this value should be the same as the
|       qualified name. (Alternatively, it could be None. My mind is not
|       made up on this.)

* Uche Ogbuji

| I'd say "None" for faster checking (in the very rare cases where
| checking at this level makes sense).

I agree that this option seems tempting, and it's certainly more in
keeping with what Java SAX does. However, this means that there is no
place where a general SAX utility can know, a priori, that there will
be a useful name.

If choose this alternative, the namespace name may be None in some
cases and similarly the qualified name may be None in some cases (all
depending on the setting of various features). I'm very uneasy about
doing that since it will obviously complicate writing general
utilities, which are part of what SAX (IMHO) is all about.

I'm not really happy with either alternative, and in general I think
this namespace thing has proved to be a horror to implement. To me it
certainly has made XML a lot less fun. There's no way out of it now,
though.

--Lars M.