[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0: Main open issues

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 09:56:41 -0600

>  - Unicode handling:
>
>    - Should parsers accept Unicode input? If so, what form does it
>    take
>      in the InputSource object?

I think they should definitely support Unicode input.  I'm not clear on what
you mean by "form", but I think they should be either UTF-8 or the new u"foo"
strings from Python 1.6.  Of course, there are people who know better than I
do about Unicode so take my comments lightly.

>  - Extra properties/features:
>
>    - Which are they?

Until the whole Unicode story is straightened out, do we make the answers to
your above questions properties?

>    - What domain are they in? python.org? Something else? One
>    alternative
>      may be garshol.priv.no, which I own. python.org seems by far the
>      best.

I'd say python.org, if we can get it.  If not, we can ask David Megginson
about python.sax.org.  If not, your domain would do.

>  - Name representation:
>
>    - Agree 100% on the representation of namespace-affected names.

I agree 100%

>  - Bundling with Python 1.6:
>
>    - Can we finish on time?

Ha!  And of course, would GvR accept somethign new in the second beta?  Is
there no feature-freeze?

>    - What should be included?

That's the major sticking point.  There is little agreement even within this
group.  The only thing I've heard everyone champion for 1.6 is EasyDOM/EasySAX.

>  - What to do with the org.xml.sax.ext package:
>
>    - Include it? How?
>
>  - Test suite:
>
>    - I will make one. Should I make it available for download?

Yes, I think.

>    - Should it be in the XML-SIG package?

I'm curious about the answers to this question as well, since we have
good-sized test-suites for the 4Suite which we've never released.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Senior Software Engineer
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101