[XML-SIG] The '_' thingy

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:06:00 -0600

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > > Are you kidding?

> > > Uh, this doesn't make sense.
> >
> > Please elaborate.
>
> Mike says that DOM won't be used over an ORB and yet
> he says that (CORBA) IDL idle *should* be used as a guide.
> If we don't care about CORBA, why be guided by UDL?

I think you mis-read him.  I think by "guide", he means that the IDL should be
a guiding formalism, not that the API must cooincide with what you get when
you compile the IDL.  I thought we'd all got on the same side of this.

> > > Who says? What do you have to support this? Most people
> > > will access the DOM through whatever interface we define.
> >
> > Mike's support is that back when this SIG agreed upon attribute access as well
> > as _get/_set ops, most people said they'd prefer to just use plain attribute
> > access anyway, and the _get/_set was only needed for completeness.
> >
> > Do you have any support to contradict his assertion?
>
> In the discussion over the last few days, I've seen alot of confusion
> over what the Python DOM API actually is.  It's hard to believe that
> real consensus exists in such an environment.

If I understand how strict you're setting up the conditions for "real
consensus" to be, I hardly thing there is any area of Python development (or
of development in general) where you'll find real consensus.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101