[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:00:59 -0600

>   A question for the 4Suite team:  how did you deal with the IDL
> roblems when CORBA support was a primary requirement for 4DOM?  Did
> you use your own IDL derived from the Java description, or what?  I'm
> surprised that the problems of the published W3C IDL have only now
> been mentioned here.

We used our own version of the DOM IDL, with a few mods.  Fnorb was easy, but
for ILU we had to make liberal use of underscores to escape clashing names,
although as Martin von Lowis has pointed out, most of the errors are for CORBA
2.3 only and were not errors for CORBA 2.2.  Besides changing the few clashing
names, the DOM IDL in general compiled just fine.  I think people have been
making far too much of the few errors name-clashes Duncan Grisby turned up.
Note that Duncan Grisby maintains the unsurpassed omniORBpy, by far the most
compliant 2.3 ORB for Python.  It is far stricter than Fnorb/ILU, but only
emerged after we took CORBA out of the 4DOM core (and, IIRC, after our earlier
discussion on Python/DOM binding).

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101