[XML-SIG] repost: getElementsByTagName interpretation

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:30:04 -0400

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 05:09:13PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>On the one hand I desperately want to implement the simple non-live behavior,
>as doing the other is a major pain. On the other hand, I'd risk introducing
>an incompatibility with other DOMs.

I'd be interested in knowing if there's any DOM that *does* implement
the live NodeList behaviour for getElementsByTagName(); when I looked
at IBM's and Sun's around that time, they certainly didn't seem to.
Mozilla's doesn't seem to, either.  Can anyone point to a DOM that
actually does provide this liveness feature?  I suspect there are
none...

Frankly, the DOM spec is broken in this respect; supporting a live
NodeList from getElementsByTagName() would add a lot of complexity, a
lot of bookkeeping, and more bugs.  I don't think it's worth the pain.

--amk