[XML-SIG] DOM Extension Proposal

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:03:23 -0500

Insofar as the DOM does not address Python's syntax overloading, it does
not say what we must do in our overloading.

I propose that we extend the DOM with a new type AttributeList that is a
subclass of NamedNodeMap:

It would override __getitem__ to return the *value* of the reference
attribute node instead of a (often useless and annoying) attribute node
object.

The behvaior of all DOM-defined methods (item, namedItem, namedItemNS)
would be unchanged. The practical implication is that Python users could
write code like this:

url=img[src]

rather than:

url=img[src].value

"Music is the stuff between the notes." - Claude Debussy