[XML-SIG] PyExpat changes

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:44:55 -0400

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:31:21AM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>I would be happy to see this change. However, I assume that this will
>break a lot of code. Perhaps we should make a backwards-compatible

I was thinking of just leaving the old function & method names in
place, and only documenting the new names.  I can leave the attribute
names alone.

>Python wrapper to avoid that? Then we might at the same time get rid
>of the ParserCreate function and replace it with a ExpatParser class
>constructor or something like it (ie: ParserCreate would return the
>backwards-compatible Python wrapper class).

I really don't see the need of a Python wrapper class.  Plus, that
would require creating a pyexpat.py module and renaming pyexpat.c to
_pyexpat.c.  (Oh, maybe we could just create expat.py; I'm not
enthralled by having "py" in the module name, since I know perfectly
well that I'm using Python.)

There are two kinds of large software systems: those that evolved from small
systems and those that don't work.
  -- Seen on slashdot.org