[XML-SIG] XML support in Python 1.6

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:23:03 -0500

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>   One is the pyexpat support; the Modules/Setup.in file used to
> configure the set of modules built under Unix requires libexpat.a.
> There's a note that this can be done manually until James Clark adds
> it to the Unix build -- has *anyone* been in contact with James about
> this?  Guido will not add the expat sources to the Python tree, since
> that just creates maintenance headaches.  Paul, I expect you actually
> know James; can you ask him about this?  I'd hate for all your work on
> the module to go to waste!

Sorry, I'm dense and forgetful and don't follow the question. What does
James Clark need to do? I've talked to James about licensing issues but
that doesn't seem to be the issue. Whatever it is, he's been very
helpful so far so I don't think it is an impediment.

>   We also need to decide what sort of API we want to publicize as part
> of the standard library -- SAX or SAX2?  Given the delay for Python
> 1.6, it probably makes sense to include a saxlib module that
> implements SAX2.  Lars, does this still make sense to you?

I agree 100%. The only question is whether to make a SAX2 subset or just
put all of SAX2 in there.

>   We also need to determine how Unicode should be supported; should
> the parser always produce Unicode strings, or UTF-8, and provide a
> wrapper that converts everything?  Since it appears likely that
> auto-conversion between Unicode and narrow strings will likely only
> work for 7-bit narrow strings, it may be reasonable to create Unicode
> output directly from the parser (probably at the pyexpat level for
> efficiency).

I think that the logical thing is to produce real Unicode objects. If
the auto-conversion thing turns out to be a hassle then we can provide
some sort of alternate interface that is ASCII-only and thus more
convenient for those who have no interest in Unicode.

At the same moment that the Justice Department and the Federal Trade
Commission are trying to restrict the negative consequences of
monopoly, the Commerce Department and the Congress are helping to
define new intellectual property rights, rights that have a
significant potential to create new monopolies. This is the policy
equivalent of arm-wrestling with yourself.
	- http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/04/07/greenspan/index.html