[XML-SIG] packaging question

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:42:52 -0700

>   A few weeks ago we discussed the relationship between the xml
> package added to the standard library and PyXML.  One person stated
> that the biggest requirement was that both be able to use the "xml"
> name for the top-level package.  There were at least two proposals
> about how to achieve that.
>   Before I dig into the mechanics, I want to be sure people
> agree that
> this is the "right thing" to do.  What are the objections
> to using two
> different names ("xml" and "xmlextra") instead of one?

Two names makes more sense to me.  Frankly, for production
projects I want to use what is in the Python core and not
liable to further change.  Putting something in "xmlextra"
is great because there is a guarantee of at least one
future change (even if it is a grep to delete the string 'extra')
so it clearly signals to the user base what is going on.

- Andy Robinson
(in 120' heat in Phoenix, so flame away, I won't even feel it)