[XML-SIG] SAX Namespaces

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:07:35 -0500

Lars:
> I know, but it's much better to simply modify the output from expat
> (preferably in C source) than to implement namespaces in Python.

I'm not clear what route you are advaocating:

 1. Are we going to fork and fix Expat? I've been waiting quite a while
for a response from James on this issue.

 Ease of implementation: 6/10
 Ease of maintanance: 3/10
 Technical correctness: 10/10

 2. Are we going to implement new namespace handling ourselves in C
code? (ignoring Expat's namespace features?)

 Ease of implementation: 3/10
 Ease of maintanance: 6/10
 Technical correctness: 10/10

 3. Are we going to try to reverse-map from URIs to prefixes? And what
about when there are two possible prefixes for the same namespace?

 Ease of implementation: 8/10
 Ease of maintanance: 10/10
 Technical correctness: 2/10

Implementing something in Python is a stop-gap until we choose the
least-bad of these approaches.

I would multiply ease of maintenance by 10 and ease tecnical correctness
by 100 because they are so much more important than initial difficulty.

So "2" would probably be the best unless we hear from James Clark. Who
wants to implement it, though?

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski