[XML-SIG] DevDay results

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 05:24:18 -0700

> I don't remember if we achieved clear concensus on whether to bundle the
> DOM or anything else into 1.6 along with Python. I think we were leaning
> towards bundling the DOM based on the argument that SAX and DOM were the
> "two biggies" in terms of API.

Hmm.  As much as I'd find it cool to have 4DOM bundled into Python, it is
rather vast: 104 files, excluding the 84-file test-suite (which we haven't
been publishing, but we shall now that the xml-sig has adopted it).  I have
the sense that a raised eyebrow would be the nicest we can expect from Guido.

My vote would be to bundle SAX and Expat, which will do for many uses.  If
they need more sophisticated XML, they can download the XML package to get
DOM, XPath, XSLT, etc.

I think this is the way it is in Perl (in fact, I'm not even sure XML is
bundled at all in Perl).  Of course, Perl has CPAN, which makes finding
modules much less travail, but that is a problem for Python to solve in other
ways than bundling every package into the main distro.  I understand the
dist-utils SIG are close to a solution.

--
Uche Ogbuji
Fourthought, Inc., IT Consultants