[XML-SIG] Expat as xmllib

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:15:49 -0500

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> 21K/sec difference, or around 6% slower; very good.  Let's discuss
> these optimizations at IPC8; I'd like to get a version of this into
> the CVS tree ASAP.

The optimizations I am thinking about are in pyexpat itself. It also
needs better error handling.

> Note that the xmllib in 1.5.2 and xml.parsers.xmllib are different;
> namespace support has been added to the 1.5.2 version.  This is a
> divergence that's needed fixing for a while, and now seems like a good
> opportunity..

Expat can do namespaces for us in C.

> Is Expat becoming a fairly common component of Linux and *BSD
> distributions?  I still dislike the idea of adding Expat to the Python
> distribution, because of possible collisions with updated versions of
> Expat.

I'm not convinced that this is a big problem but let's just say it is.
How hard would it be to rename exported object names and the final
library name. It seems like it would be useful (and reasonably doable)
to create a tool that uniqifies dynamic libraries in general. You can
get the names using object-file reading tools or by parsing the text.

The new revolutionaries believe the time has come for an aggressive
move against our oppressors. We have established a solid beachhead
on Friday. We now intend to fight vigorously for 'casual Thursdays.'
  -- who says America's revolutionary spirit is dead?