[XML-SIG] Expat as xmllib

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:35:52 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:
>Without any xmllib-specific optimization, pyexpat runs almost as fast as
>sgmlop:
>raw sgmlop: 13222 items; 0.426 seconds; 1281.29 kbytes per second
>fast xmllib: 13222 items; 1.445 seconds; 378.03 kbytes per second
>slow xmllib: 13222 items; 6.651 seconds; 82.11 kbytes per second
>pyexpat: 13210 items; 1.527 seconds; 357.68 kbytes per second
>I can think of several optimizations that could speed it up quite a bit.

21K/sec difference, or around 6% slower; very good.  Let's discuss
these optimizations at IPC8; I'd like to get a version of this into
the CVS tree ASAP.

>Also if you compare it to the xmllib in the standard distribution, we
>are talking night and day so if we bundle expat we're only improving
>things for them.

Note that the xmllib in 1.5.2 and xml.parsers.xmllib are different;
namespace support has been added to the 1.5.2 version.  This is a
divergence that's needed fixing for a while, and now seems like a good
opportunity..

Is Expat becoming a fairly common component of Linux and *BSD
distributions?  I still dislike the idea of adding Expat to the Python
distribution, because of possible collisions with updated versions of
Expat.

And at times the fact of her absence will hit you like a blow to the chest,
and you will weep. But this will happen less and less as time goes on.
    -- From SANDMAN: "The Song of Orpheus"