C extension (was Re: [XML-SIG] SAX 2.0 names)

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
29 Feb 2000 13:50:56 -0600

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>  > Hmmm.  That might be the way to go.  I still wonder about the
>  > speed, though.
>
>   If the C extension is actually available, it should be about the
> same a building a tuple; perhaps a *little* faster, but the
> difference would come out in the wash.

Speaking of C extensions, I've started some work on a C library
similar to what was discussed here a few months back: the ability to
capture attribute (property) access in an efficient way and support
generated values, parent proxies, and inherited properties (SVG comes
to mind).  The core is very grove-like and the implementation is
strongly influenced by Objective-C and Python, even though I started
it to implement solutions for my Perl modules.  Even though the core
is grove-like, I definitely want to be able to support a DOM layer
over it for those who prefer DOM.

The core of the library has no intentional Perl-isms in it, I would
really like to have a Python co-developer work with me so we can share
the resources developing it.  I will/would have made a Python binding
for it asap, but it'd be really nice if it happened earlier in the
development.  I'm just finishing up the core data model and will check
the source into my CVS server as soon as that's complete.  I'll
crosspost between both lists as developments occur.  The "basic"
integration of the core library and Perl only took a couple of hours,
I would expect about the same for Python.

  -- Ken