[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0 names

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:31:35 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
 > Hmmm.  That might be the way to go.  I still wonder about the speed,
 > though.

  If the C extension is actually available, it should be about the
same a building a tuple; perhaps a *little* faster, but the difference
would come out in the wash.

 > Hmmm.  Let's chew on this a little more and hear some more opinions
 > before deciding.

  Agreed; I won't have time to write a bunch of new C code for a
couple of weeks anyway.

 > I did the benchmark I spoke of, and the results indicate that the
 > performance differences are very small between strings and tuples.
 > Also, how you put together the strings influences the speed a
 > bit. Benchmark run with Python 1.5.2 on Debian GNU/Linux on a Pentium
 > II with plenty of RAM and MHz.

  Looks good!  As for string construction, "%s %s" % (uri, localpart)
requires 1 malloc() more for the new string than just creating the
tuple, and uri + " " + localpart would require the same number of
malloc() calls, but slightly more data copying when uri isn't "".
Very close, but both require the extra malloc() compared to just using
a tuple.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>