[Distutils] Re: [XML-SIG] small installation problem

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:53:56 -0500

On 23 February 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. said:
>   This is (in part) a distutils issue.  The distutils package should
> always create this directory if it doesn't exist.

Fred is correct -- Distutils should create any directories it needs to
install files.  (In fact, it creates any directories it needs to do
anything.)

In fact, I've just tested this: both my current development version (on
Linux) and the 0.1.3 release (Solaris 2.6) work peachy keen.  If I
remove or rename my site-packages directory, Distutils recreates it *as
long as I have permission to write in $prefix/lib/python1.5*.

Harri Pasanen writes:
> python setup.py install
>
> failed at first, because of missing
> /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ directory.
> That directory does not appear the be created when Python 1.5.2 is
> installed from the tar-ball.

Since I can't reproduce the bug, I'm going to need more information.
Could you supply an exact transcript of the session where Distutils
failed to create the site-packages directory?  (I'm guessing there's a
traceback that will reveal useful information.)

Also, what version of Distutils did you use?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux bigot                                 gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/