[XML-SIG] DOM and Proxies

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:21:07 -0800

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Open question: is the proxy mechanism still useful if a garbage
> collection mechanism for collecting cycles gets into 1.6?  (Neal
> Schemenauer is working on something, but it's too early to tell if
> it'll get into 1.6; perhaps the cost will be too high.)

No, if the cycle-reaper gets into 1.6 then I wouldn't bother with the
proxies. The mere fact that I've spent too much of my life thinking up
cycle-avoidance mechanisms suggests that we should give Neal's patch a
high priority (scuse the pun)! Obviously the proxy has the benefit of
not slowing down anything that doesn't use it.

"The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made possible the modern world."
        - from "Advent of the Algorithm" David Berlinski
	http://www.opengroup.com/mabooks/015/0151003386.shtml