[XML-SIG] DOM and Proxies

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:26:31 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > Insofar as this is minidom and provides minimal support for moving
 > things around, cloning them and so forth, I wouldn't put in proxies just
 > to get object reuse. In the full PyDOM they would be more appropriate.

  I was thinking more of the general case, DOM or otherwise.  I think
it would be really nice to have this sort of proxy available in a
"high performance" implementation.  The reality is that several
variants might be needed (with various support for mappings,
sequences, etc.), but that's a detail symptomatic of the type/class
dichotomy and not a long-term issue.  It may not be realistic to share
one implementation, and may not be worth the C code if not.
  But to support "sharable sub-hierarchies" as Ken described, we would
need to use some sort of proxy solution.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>