[XML-SIG] XBEL tool and remard about its DTD

14 Feb 2000 09:08:38 +0100

* goulu@i.am

| By the way, the problem I have is that XBEL DTD at
| http://www.python.org/topics/xml/dtds/xbel-1.0.dtd does not support
| "european" accented characters such as éàîö... I think it should as
| long as some billions people on this Earth will use a different
| language than English...

I guess the problem you've run into is that you've produced something
like this:

<doc>
Here is an accented char: é.
</doc>

That this causes a problem has nothing to do with the XBEL DTD, but
rather with the fact that conforming XML parsers must assume that this
document is UTF-8-encoded, and your 'é.' is not a legal UTF-8 bit
sequence, hence the problems.

So if you do like this instead, everything should be fine (provided
I've guessed correctly what your problem is):

<doc>
Here is an accented char: é.
</doc>

--Lars M.