[XML-SIG] New stuff on w3.org

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 09:45:32 -0700

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 09:10:17PM -0700, uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:
> >They couldn't just provide a node-set function, maybe some grouping
> >primitives, and be done with XSLT 1.1.
>
> Lots of people on W3C mailing lists do seem hell-bent on giving the
> world another example of rampant overcomplexity to put on the shelf
> next to the OSI protocols.  (For me, it was XSchema: two documents
> specify it, and they're around 400K and 600K of HTML.  Don't hold your
> breath waiting for a Python implementation...)

Yeah.  I just had my moment with XSchema: while wrestling with SOAP.  I'd
always been familiar with them, and that's why I had always shunned them for
Schematron, but now that I've got even more close and personal with XSchema, I
think I can say I've never seen a worse example of an overwrought
specification since ANSI STD C++.

I know that a Python version of XSchema is unlikely to come from this quarter.
 We're happily chugging away with Schematron.  Now we use it through XSLT, but
we might consider writing a pure Python engine for it (a Perl engine was
recently announced).