[XML-SIG] qp_xml

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:20:56 -0500

Robin Becker wrote:

> Has pyexpat improved? I'm having trouble beating Aaron's pure python
> recursive descent parser and qp_xml with old pyexpat running on
> hamlet.xml.

I'm having trouble parsing this. Is it ((recursive descent + qp_xml) vs.
old pyexpat) or (recursive descent vs.(  qp_xml + old pyexpat)).

PyExpat has mostly improved to add Unicode support.

> I'm fairly
> sure his parser isn't complete, but it is a bit weird that the C
> tokenising etc doesn't beat it by a mile.

PyExpat has the additional cost of having to cross the C->Python line
all of the time. Still, I haven't heard that anyone has made a
reasonably complete pure-Python parser that is as fast as PyExpat. I
don't know anything about Aaron's.
"I don't want you to describe to me -- not ever -- what you were doing
to that poor boy to make him sound like that; but if you ever do it
again, please cover his mouth with your hand," Grandmother said.
	-- John Irving, "A Prayer for Owen Meany"