[XML-SIG] Scriptics Connect

26 Oct 1999 08:59:15 +0200

* Andrew M. Kuchling

| Expat outputs UTF-8 by default, but sgmlop doesn't (can't remember
| what xmlproc does)

What you give is what you get. Ie: for the moment it doesn't do
anything about the character encoding it receives.

| and you need a way to convert from UTF-8 to Latin1, Unicode, or
| whatever.

xmlproc has Python code to do a few conversions in its charconv
module. This includes UTF-8 converters, but those are _way_ too slow
to be of any practical interest to anyone.

| What's the plan, here?  Fredrik's Unicode type, MvL's wstring, or
| something else?  (String-SIG topic.)

Unless I'm much mistaken, MvL's stuff has been discarded in favour of
Fredrik's. (Correct me if I indeed am mistaken.)

Anyway, what the plan is depends on the String SIG, and we'll just
have to follow their lead. I'd be very happy to add Unicode support to
xmlproc (and some encoding negotiation support to SAX2), but at the
moment I've given this low priority and in any case I am (like you)
uncertain what to do.

--Lars M.