[XML-SIG] Scriptics Connect

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:15:49 -0400 (EDT)

Fred Yankowski writes:
>So, where is the SIG falling short?  Is there specific XML processing
>functionality that is missing?  If so, what is the most important?  Is
>the Python XML software too hard to install?  Is the main problem a
>lack of documentation and examples?  What are the most important
>problems that the XML-SIG could/should address now?

We just need to *finish*, so we can put a 1.0 on the thing.  Finish
some form of namespace support, find a solution for UTF-8 and Unicode,
finish optimizing the DOM implementation, finish the demos and
documentation.

The UTF-8 problem is the most messy one, and depends on things
external to the XML-SIG, namely Python's Unicode support.  Expat
outputs UTF-8 by default, but sgmlop doesn't (can't remember what
xmlproc does) and you need a way to convert from UTF-8 to Latin1,
Unicode, or whatever.  What's the plan, here?  Fredrik's Unicode type,
MvL's wstring, or something else?  (String-SIG topic.)

The Answers to these Frequently Asked Questions have been verified by
Encyclopedia Britannica. They have not, however, been verified to be *correct*.
    -- The alt.religion.kibology FAQ