[XML-SIG] CORBA compliance for the DOM in Python?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:33:20 +0100 (CET)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes:
 > Andrew M. Kuchling writes:
 >  >     (The get_*() probably can't go away completely, though, because of
 >  > external documents such as Sean McGrath's Python/XML book.)
 >
 >   This one hurts; I really don't like leaving it in if we're actually
 > going to change it.  Do you know if the book has gone to press?
 >   This makes me want to rethink using the IDL mapping, but the catch
 > is we need to if we are going to use general code to operate on
 > arbitrary DOM trees, including remote ones.  Without this, there's
 > little point to using ANY specific interface.  ;-(  We may end up with
 > multiple flavors of the interface, which I consider evil.
I think it is not that bad. The differences are rather small
and homogenous.

What about using an object factory to build DOM trees.
This would be a good thing in any case, because applications
could extend the DOM base classes to add support for application
specific requirements.

Supporting an old/different interface (for compatibility/context reasons)
would simply mean changing the object factory somewhat.
It could be done by importing the DOM document constructor
via a special module or through an explicite initialization
call.

- Dieter