[XML-SIG] 4DOM future

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:31:38 -0700

Well with all the recent discussion, I thought I'd discuss our near-term plans
for 4DOM and seek feedback.

As I've said, we plan to remove even the appearnace of CORBA from the next
version.  There won't even be a "make".  It will ship as a straight Python
package.  There will be separate add-on libs for Fnorb and ILU support, but
most users needn't concern themselves with those.

Also, we are thinking of eliminating the getSpam() and setEggs() convention.
Right now, one uses

node.getParent()

to access the DOM attribute

node.parent

We are thinking of simply doing the same thing in Python.

The problem is that DOM adherence is still very important to us, and there are
some things we'd have to do that require __getattr__ and __setattr__, and I
know that these can slow things down quite a bit.

I'm assuming that's why PyDOM uses

node.get_parent()

Any comment about the "right" way, Python as well as DOM-wise?

Thanks.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants