[XML-SIG] Useless fun thing for XML - comments or helpers?

Walter Underwood wunder@infoseek.com
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:36:09 -0700

At 05:06 PM 9/4/98 -0400, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>Walter Underwood writes:
>>By the way, thanks for all the work on XML parsing. We're using
>>this to add XML support in future versions of Ultraseek Server,
>>our Python-based search engine.
>
>	That's very interesting.  Can you say anything about the level
>of the API you're using?  That is, are you using xmllib.py, xmllib.py
>+ sgmlop.c, the PyExpat module, or something higher-level such as SAX?

Still on xmllib.py (version 0.1), since the work was first done
back in May. I'm planning on moving to SAX, and dropping in a
faster parser, probably via sgmlop support.

We're using XML in another part of the engine, but that is not
speed-sensitive.

The search engine only requires that the XML be well-formed, since it
doesn't really need to know about the DTD, just the text that remains
after parsing. Well, we do pay attention to one tag -- the first <title>
or <TITLE> tag is considered to be the title of the document for
purposes of displaying search hits.

If people don't mind a commercial announcement, I'll let the list know
when we release the XML-savvy version.

wunder

Walter R. Underwood
wunder@infoseek.com