[XML-SIG] Proposed XBEL DTD

Marc van Grootel bwaumg@urc.tue.nl
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 01:45:09 +0200

> Marc, you argued for having an explicit metadata structure; do you
> want to respond to this?

Not quite, Fred. I proposed the meta tag approach. You came up with
metadata as a wrapper for multiple meta elements. I liked it. I
believe that info like it is can extend the lifetime of the DTD, and
it can also be an escape-hatch for new bookmark apps. I guess the need
for some sort of metadata is apparent, it was there from the start
when Mark Hammond suggested:

  <!ELEMENT INFO     (OWNER, MACHINE, VERSION, DATE?)>

How does this merger of namespaces with the info element look?

  <info>
  </info>

We can claim the xbel namespace and put essential info stuff in it.

I regret losing id from folder. Why is an alias to a folder stranger
then an alias to a bookmark. NS has the latter but not the first. MSIE
supports both. NS has a separator, MSIE doesn't know such a thing,
still, separator is in. Why does NS get to veto elements/attributes?

G'night

Marc
---
Marc van Grootel