[XML-SIG] Bits of XML HOWTO available

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@step.de
Wed, 06 May 1998 19:18:33 +0200

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> Anyway, could the SAX and DOM authors please take a look at the list
> below, and tell me if any of these modules should *not* be documented
> (because they're for internal use, or because they're outdated)?  Did
> I miss any modules?  Thanks...
>
> 6.4.7 xml.sax.saxexts
> 6.4.8 xml.sax.saxexts.ParserFactory
> 6.4.9 xml.sax.saxlib
> 6.4.18 xml.sax.saxutils

These are quite OK to document. They are up to date and will stay in
the library. Additional modules/classes will probably be added with
time.

> I'm not sure if the different SAX drivers should be documented;
> perhaps they should be treated as internal modules, used by a factory
> function.

They are written to be identical in interface, but since the underlying
parsers have different capabilities what could usefully be documented
about them is of course what they _don't_ implement.

That's obviously going to be quite a bit of work and require a lot of
updating, but will probably be very valuable. If you don't want to take
on all that work I think there should just be a list of the drivers with
brief descriptions.

--Lars M.