[XML-SIG] object sites and broadcast news

Jeffrey P Shell jeff@Digicool.com
Tue, 05 May 1998 13:19:27 -0400

One of the issues about Python is that it's "not well known".  We know this
(hence this list) all too well.  A good start (I believe) in broadcasting the
message further is making sure some of the more major Object sites recieve news
about Python and projects using it.  And that announcements to these sites are
consistent (ie, one month someone only submits a news item to Objectnews, next
month someone submits a small paragraph about something else to Scripting news.
If both are hit each time, it helps make Python appear more important)

For example, Objectnews ( http://www.objectnews.com/ ) seems to have taken a
liking to Python.  Visit the site and search the current news for Python.  There
are a couple of items about JPython and also the 1.5.1 update (and I think I saw
something about Fnorb on there too), along with a little bit of nag for readers
to replace their older scripting language with Python due to its OO features.
It also mentions that Python is still somewhat of a silent grower, increasing in
popularity but still nowhere close to a household name.

I propose that some of the lists and object news sites need to be updated.
Yahoo and Cetus (www.cetus-links.org) should be updated, and other link
directories like Developer.com should have some Python links added.  (ie,
submitting the XML-SIG page to the XML Programming directory at Developer.com
and other XML lists people are aware of).

Bobo should be pushed as another _free_ Object Oriented alternative to CGI
(besides Java Servlets), along with mentions of the BoboPOS and DTML.  Mention
of commercial successes with Bobo and it's commercial sibling Principia should
get out as well, as well as any other commercial success using Python.  More
white papers, especially ones on _proven_ technologies like Acquisition should
also be pushed.  Links to white papers on technologies and techniques never
completed should be removed.

I propose that the Advocacy sig decide which directories need to be updated
(Yahoo, etc..), and which news sites (ie, Objectnews) should recieve news
announcements about Python and Python-oriented projects.  This list should be
tracked somewhere (Andrew's advocacy pages *nudge nudge, wink wink*) and
everyone should take some responsibility for notifying the sites of new
announcements, etc.  As commercial products like Principia or free tools like
Bobo get updated or released, some sort of announcement should go out to as many
of these as possible, like a press release.  Organizations should take
responsibility for announcing their own projects/products.  SIG's should also
(independantly) be active in submitting links and progress announcements to
sites related to the SIG's objectives.  Let the world see what we're doing with
XML, Threading, Database integration, yada yada yada.

My first contributions of sites for submissions are:
Yahoo - only 13 links, compared with 115 for Perl
Cetus-links - http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

News sites:
Objectnews - http://www.objectnews.com/ - These guys have a few Python snippets
of news (primarily Python 1.5.1, JPython releases, and FNorb) and also seem to
have a growing pro-Python stance.

Scripting - http://www.scripting.com/ - Yes, home of Frontier.  But these guys
do seem to have an interest in other cross-platform scripting solutions as well.
 Their news items encompass a lot of different things, and there was even a
mention of Principia a few weeks back.  The XML-SIG knows the growing weight
these guys are putting on XML.

--
There are other sites as well.  We should keep the list relatively small to ease
the people who have to post messages to all of them.  The news sites should

Thoughts, submissions?

(note : cross-posted to XML-SIG and the Bobo-list)

--
"Green Tony squeeled and I'm off to Galaxy X"
.jPS   jeff@Digicool.com    Digital Creations