[XML-SIG] saxlib and enumerations

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
18 Mar 1998 00:09:13 +0100

* Paul Prescod

| [Java enumerators vs Python lists]
|
| #2. We could ask Jim to wrap *all* Java enumerations in Python
| sequences.

I think we should try this approach. This problem will reappear in all
Java/Python integration attempts because of the fundamental
differences between these two languages. Java has enumerators because
of things that are missing in the language design (parametric types)
and Python does not have them because they aren't necessary.

Ie: they could be implemented in Python, but that would take away part
of the point of using Python in the first place. So if Jim thinks this
is possible I think that's what we should do.

It would solve the problem for DOM and other packages as well, it will
require no wrapper code and it won't force us into having to use
clumsy constructs just to remain compatible with JPython.

--
"These are, as I began, cumbersome ways / to kill a man. Simpler, direct,
and much more neat / is to see that he is living somewhere in the middle /

 http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/      http://birk105.studby.uio.no/