[XML-SIG] Simple WDDX Serialization

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:30:43 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Gabe Wachob wrote:
> >
> > OK, I have not been following the serialization thread very closely.
> >
> > I want to put together a simple WDDX serializer, and I want to throw out
> > my idea to see if anyone can see any major problems.
>
> You should probably build on the work that Andrew Kuchling is doing in his
> "universal serializer."

I saw mentions of this, but I have seen this. Pointers?

> > String -> String
> >
> > For the dateTime WDDX type, I am thinking either 1) do pattern matching on
> > strings to determine if they are valid time/dates -- if so, make them
> > dateTime WDDX elements, or 2) if a string begins with a magic code, then
> > the rest of the string is interpreted as a dateTime element.
>
> Autosensing of either sort seems dangerous. Also, Python dates can be
> encoded as integers and tuples. (see the time module for more information.
> What we need is to ship some particular date/time class with the XML
> package and require people to use it on both input and output.

Well, thats fine -- I'm just trying to suggest something I can do now...

> > We could also
> > have a flag in the serializer which turns on or off serialization into
> > dateTime globally for the serialization of a particular object.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.

Not important -- basically to allow globally for NOT doing the
autosensing.

	-Gabe

http://www.aimnet.com/~gwachob               http://www.findlaw.com
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of
acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps
both." -- James Madison
                       import std.disclaimer