[XML-SIG] Parsers which include external parsed entities

Gabe Wachob gwachob@aimnet.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:05:27 -0800 (PST)

Are there any parsers out there which automatically include external
parsed entities?

I am building an app which has (to begin with) a list of items (urls) and
a categorization breakdown of those items. I'd like to keep the items in a
separate file from the categorizations and "glue" them together for
purposes of the application in a third file by including external parsed
entity references to those other xml files. I could parse them as separate
files, but thats not "pretty" (but it probably is more efficient ;-)

I've found that I have to pipe my xml files through SGMLNORM (which, ugh,
upcases all my tags) to get this effect.

Is there a technical reason why these parses DON'T automatically "include"
externally parsed entities when producing SAX or ESIS (and then DOM)
output? I know there is no requirement that the external entities be
parsed, but are there parsers (written in Python or other languages) that
you can force to include external parsed entities?

	-Gabe

http://www.aimnet.com/~gwachob               http://www.findlaw.com
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of
acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps
both." -- James Madison
                       import std.disclaimer