[XML-SIG] xml install problems

John Day jday@csihq.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 19:19:58 -0500

Hi,

I'm a Python and Xml newbie, having problems installing the latest
xml-0.5 under Linux.

I did not have Python installed, so I got the latest Python
1.5.1 from www.python.org and installed it with prefix=/home/jday
It seemed to install OK and make test ran OK.

Then I unzipped the xml-0.5 into /home/jday/xml/xml-0.5/ and
did:
  make -f Makefile.pre.in Makefile VERSION=1.5 installdir=/home/jday
  make
  make install

The make seemed to make and install everything OK, _but_ 6 out of 7 tests
failed:

jday@medusa:/home/jday/xml/xml-0.5> make test
cd test ; PYTHONPATH=.. python testxml.py
test_arch
test test_arch skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_dom
test test_dom skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_pyexpat
test_sax
test test_sax skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_unicode
test test_unicode skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_utils
test test_utils skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
test_xmllib
test test_xmllib skipped -- an optional feature could not be imported
1 test OK.
6 tests skipped: test_arch test_dom test_sax test_unicode test_utils
test_xmllib

jday@medusa:/home/jday/xml/xml-0.5/test> python test_arch.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "test_arch.py", line 6, in ?
    from xml.sax import saxexts, saxlib, saxutils
ImportError: No module named xml.sax

PYTHONPATH was not defined so I tried
 setenv PYTHONPATH /home/jday/lib/python1.5/
with no improvement.

I know very little about python and your XML implementations. What
am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
John Day
Palm Bay, Florida