[XML-SIG] Character set support in xmlproc

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:11:37 +0200

I'm currently trying to educate myself a bit about character sets, an
area about which I've known just about nothing for rather too long.
As a part of this effort I'm adding support for different character
sets to xmlproc (in an extensible and reusable way, so far).

The current experimental support is for ISO 8859-1, UTF-8 and IBM850.

Until Python finally gets Unicode support (and I learn how that
support works) the character set support will be confined to 7-8bit
character sets.

What I wanted to know was whether anyone out there needed any
character sets beyond the three I've listed above. I'm also curious as
to which character set people would prefer to receive data in? 8859-1
or UTF-8?

--
"These are, as I began, cumbersome ways / to kill a man. Simpler, direct,
and much more neat / is to see that he is living somewhere in the middle /

 http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/      http://birk105.studby.uio.no/